Monday, March 1, 2010

BLANKET HOG

My grandma gave Hyrum and I a down comforter for our wedding gift. We got a second one a year ago and gave the old one to the kids.

When we moved into this house, we somehow ended up putting both comforters on our bed, and never took them off.

At first we stacked them, one on top of the other. Having them stacked caused a problem since the top one was constantly making a dive for the floor all night.

At some point, we each ended up with our own comforter, and we really liked it! No more tugging at the blanket when a certain guy (I won't name names) hogs it. I can even still easily slip my feet under Hyrum's blanket to warm them up.

It's great, though I'll admit that there are 2 problems.

1: Deep down it gives us the creepy feeling that we're almost sleeping in separate beds.
2: It's too much of a hassle to make in the morning. You can't make 2 queen-size comforters look presentable side-by-side on a queen-size bed, and we don't want to stack them because we'd have to yank them apart to each side each night.

So, until I can think of something better to do, our bed constantly looks like this:
 
The problem is, we really like having our own blanket, so we just put up with the mess. And truthfully, we've never been good about making our bed. It's easier to shut the door and not look at it.

(You can thank Talea for stealthily taking this photo. I didn't even know about it until I downloaded pictures. You can see I still need to paint the trims in our room. It'll make a good "during" picture.)

3 comments:

The Lanyons said...

I almost never make our bed either. I once heard that leaving it unmade is better because it airs out the bed during the day, thus discouraging dust mites, and I've never looked back since! :)

Zimmer Family said...

Um, Jason and I have used our own blankets in the winter for 3 years now. I sleep really hot and he doesn't so he uses the down comforter and I use the cloth one. When we do make the bed, mine goes down first and his gets folded at the bottom of the bed.

Klein said...

This is how they sleep in Germany. Each person gets their own down comforter and duvet. When we visited, we loved it so much, we bought complete bedding sets and brought them back on the airplane. We haven't shared a comforter since. In the morning, you are supposed to fold the comforter in thirds on your side of the bed and put you pillow above it. No more cover fights for us in the middle of the night! Ahhh.. German engineering at is finest.