Problem: Living in a "trailer park" isn't my dream (though this trailer park looks more like a subdivision how it's set up), so I want to make my "house(?)" look a little less trailer-park-ish.
Solution: Get rid of the cheesy "trailer-park" cement scalloped border around the front flower bed. Create a lanscaped look instead.
It's well on it's way! I'm also digging out some planting beds 18" on each side of the walk since salting the walk ends up killing the grass on each side anyway. I'm researching salt-tolerant plants, so we'll see how it goes.
See, here is where I haven't dug it out yet, and you can see how the grass gets killed by the salt. Wish I had an edger!
Now to plant these bare patches of dirt!
My lawn is the most pathetic of the entire park! The grass is patchy and scraggly and torn up all over. Hyrum was very much against tilling, raking and replanting (after our dirt nightmare at our last place), so I went with the alternative.
First, I aerated my lawn. First time I've ever run an aerator...serious work out, and surprisingly cheap to rent!
Then, I hand-raked the entire lawn to get rid of some thatch, since they didn't have the kind of power rake I wanted available to rent...much to my hands' dismay since I'm sporting some nasty blisters and callouses now.
Next, I seeded it with a bag of seed I brought from Oregon (I was intending to seed the lawn back there).
Last, I fertilized it. Funny thing is, I can see where I fertilized now that it's been a week. It looks like I have a striped lawn! Guess I need to go back and fill in the stripes I missed. Oops!
My garden boxes are almost ready! I'm trying square foot gardening for the first time this year.
The girl I visit and teach gave me some chives, rhubarb plants (which I planted in the front flower bed, though they look pretty traumatized right now) and some raspberries so I got them in the ground and am feeling very farm-ish. Can't wait for it to be past the danger of frost!
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I'm sure it's all going to look great soon. It already looks better. You have such a green thumb. I love that you got that from Dad.
The stripey lawn is hilarious.
I keep hearing about this square foot gardening stuff (Mel, Nobles, you, etc). Is it a book or a website or what?!
Post a Comment