Saturday, January 9, 2010

RICKS DAYS REVISITED

I attended BYU-Idaho back when it was Ricks College from 1994-1996. The reason I only applied there instead of anywhere else? My friend Nancy Lacy (Powell now) convinced me to apply so we could be roommates together. I ended up getting accepted, and for unknown reasons that baffle and infuriate me, she didn't. So I went off to the land of snow and icicles alone.

I was painfully shy and had a hard time adjusting to life away from my family. There were two people who rescued me from wallowing in self-pitty my freshman year. Kathy and Mahana. Polynesian cousins who were my roommates. (Left to right it's Mahana, me, and Kathy.)


They kept me laughing and took me to luaus and even a trip to Salt Lake. They made life enjoyable. They were sophomores though, so I lost touch with them after the school year ended.

Thanks to Facebook, I found them again! And this past weekend, I finally reunited with Kathy, 14 years after being roommates! We didn't have very much time to spend together, but it was great to see her again! I loved hearing her laugh again and talking with her. I was swept back to the old days and I loved every second of it. She has 5 kids now and I have 4, but funny enough, our husbands and our lives have a lot of similarities, and Kathy is about to go to nursing school! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she comes back to Rexburg so we can see more of each other.





We managed to snag a family photo while there, but Hyatt was tired to the point of tears, so it looks like I have a choke hold on him (though I'm just holding his head as he cries). Poor guy.

1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

You look so little in that first picture! We're you really that young when you went to Ricks?!