I HATED tons of things about this kitchen before:
- the color of the cabinets
- the oak grain
- the NASTY gold handles and hinges
- the fake panels slapped on thin boards with particle board construction
- the sloppy manner in which broken things were fixed
- that some broken parts remained broken
- the nasty ugly countertops with the scars and gold geometric pattern
- the hideous blue ceramic tile backsplash
- the bad patch job on the wall seams
- the ugly oak laminate on the floor
- the grotesque choice of glass in the glass doors
- the round porcupine lights and ugly fan
But I won't.
Instead, I'll show you what I did to make it bearable to work in this kitchen. You see, I've been spoiled. Since Hyrum worked with cabinets, for the past 5 years I've had excellent kitchen cabinets, so it's hard to go back to crap.
Here's what we did with our first kitchen.
Before:
After:
Before:
After:
Before:
After:
Our second kitchen (in the small apartment we lived in just recently).
Before:
After (I realize it's a mess, but I was rearranging the house):
And now our Rexburg kitchen:
I couldn't afford new cabinets or countertops, so the only way I could think of to make the old countertops look halfway decent was to paint the cabinets really dark in order to make the dingy gold-white countertops look clean white (from a distance anyway).
Cost: $20 for a gallon of paint.
I had to redo the backsplash since our stove was a slide in rather than the traditional style that was there previously. I just asked the gal at Lowe's to pull out her calculator and help me figure out the cheapest tile solution.
Cost: $100 (including tools I had to purchase).
I painted the hood and hinges silver.
Cost: $5 for spray paint.
I replaced the hideous handles and knobs (worst I've seen in a long time...not even paint worthy).
Cost: $75 for knobs and handles (cheapest ones I could find, choosing the bulk options)
I replaced the porcupine lights with new (boob) lights since they're cheap, and a pendant light over the sink.
Cost: $30 for the 3 lights
I put pegboard and pegs behind my baking area so that I could have easy access to all my baking tools (Julia Child style).
Cost: about $20
Total transformation cost: roughly $250, not including the flooring. (I replaced the flooring throughout the house, so I'm not sure how much the kitchen portion totalled up to.) A huge improvement for a small price, I'd say.
Before:
During:
After:
Before:
During (ignore the storage on top of the cabinets, it's my only option):
After (note my raised dishwasher, which I highly recommend):
Hyrum caught me in the act of tiling. It was my first attempt, and was so much easier than I expected.
Now, keep in mind, this isn't my dream kitchen. I would have done a lot of things differently if I'd had an unlimited budget, but since it is just a single-wide trailer and I'm on a strapped budget, this is the best I could think to do.
What I love now:
- The dark brown hides all the flaws of the cabinets!
- I have pegboard for my baking area tools (though I still need more pegs so I can organize my stuff)!
- The tiles aren't the ugly blue!!
- The countertops look white rather than gold-white!
- The handles aren't hideous!
- I have something on the wall behind the stove!
- The floor is a much more appealing laminate (dark cherry rather than oak)
What I'm not sure about:
- I love the turquoise accents, but I'm not sure about the picture frames being turquoise. I might paint them the dark brown also.
On my wish list:
- new faucet
- new sink, maybe (it's just so shallow!)
- garbage disposal, maybe (sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth)
- Hyrum would like a stainless fridge so it will match, but I'm not ready for the cleaning upkeep yet.
- something to replace the ugly glass that I removed in the glass doors.
- new curtains for the kitchen and dining room







3 comments:
It's looks great!! What about tin to replace the glass? You can punch a pattern toward the back with an awl and then screw it into the door.
Amazing transformation! I love the brown and blue together. The pegboard is a great idea. You're a genius! And I loved the bit about the boob lights (hehehe).
You'll have to fly out and help me decorate my final house - if I ever get one!
:( 4 months since your last post. Will there be a Christmas miracle and you get caught up on blogging?!
Post a Comment