Saturday, June 12, 2010

ALL TIED UP

I avoided teaching Talea to tie her shoes by never buying lace-up shoes. I just dreaded the frustration I knew she'd have since I had tried to teach her the "bunny ears" method a year or so ago, which failed miserably.

Then I saw in Hyrum's child development textbook that kids normally know how to tie their shoes when they're six. Well, Tilly turned six last month, so I figured it was time.

I pulled out a pair of her lace-up shoes that I'd been keeping out of easy access for a while and decided to finally bite the bullet and "just do it," but this time I was going to teach her to tie the way I tie.

With this method, I only had to show her once, help her twice, and then she was a pro, and went about tying her shoes and any others she could find.
So glad it turned out to be a painless experience! I probably won't have to teach the others, since Tilly is already trying to teach Hyatt. Just as well, since my cousin, Tome, taught me to tie mine.

2 comments:

Gotolson said...

That's hilarious, because I tried to teach Jude the bunny-ears way too and it made him super frustrated!! But last month he learned to tie my way and loves wearing his tie shoes now.

The Lanyons said...

So what's YOUR way to tie?