Saturday, April 10, 2010

TO PIERCE KIERCE, OR NOT TO PIERCE KIERCE

Halfway through our Utah vacation, Hyrum was able to visit us on a weekend trip before he had to go back to Rexburg to work during spring break. While we was with us, he decided it was time to make his baby girls look like girls, so people would stop calling them boys, by piercing their ears. Poor Paisli smacked her eye shortly beforehand, so she was going to have to cry twice in one day out of pain.

They weren't that thrilled of course, and I was a little worried since we were getting it done at Walmart rather than a jewelry place, but Walmart was the only affordable place to get two kids done together.

Turns out I had reason to worry.

They totally screwed up on Kiersa's ears, piercing them too low, and one of the earrings was pointing downward. We took hers out and will redo them later. (You can see in this picture where Kiersa took scissors to her hair a few weeks ago and cut her curls off.)

We'd already paid for both girls to get pierced, so we went ahead and had them pierce Paisli's, hoping for a better result. Thankfully, hers were perfect.


The craziest thing, though, is that until we pierced Kiersa's ears, we'd never noticed that Kiersa's ears are different types. One ear has a hanging lobe like the rest of the family,

and one ear has an attached lobe.

How did we never notice this before? She'll have to wear dangling earrings if it bothers her how studs emphasize this difference. Now that I'm aware of the difference in her ears, I can actually see it when I look at her head-on. In this picture you can tell the left ear lobe looks higher than the right. It was really obvious when she had the earrings for a few minutes. It doesn't matter though. She's still just as cute as ever.

1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

Oh, those crying pictures were hard to look at! Poor things!
I have that thing with one attached and one not attached too. I'm fine with it (and mine is WAY worse than hers) but I think the best thing is to never draw attention to it or make a big deal about it or tell her to try and hide it because that's what mom did with me and I was self-conscious for years. So stupid! Who cares, seriously!
At Tabby's new school it's strictly forbidden to get your ears pierced (not that she wants it anyway). Weird, huh?