Saturday, December 25, 2010

HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS

Each Christmas, Hyrum's family's tradition is to get a new pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve, so this year Hy wanted a Steeler's theme for our family, in support of his cousin who was voted into the Pro Bowl and who's team was going to the Superbowl. The little girls got pink thermals, and Hyatt got the traditional yellow and black. Hyrum already had a jersey, and Tilly and I had matching yellow T-shirts.

I value handmade items more than anything purchased, so I wanted to make all the kids their Christmas presents this year (and it keeps the cost down).

The problem is, they kept walking in while I was working on them, so they saw bits and pieces of everything I was making. For the month before Christmas, I was staying up until 2-4am every night trying to get things done in secret. Because of the lack of secrecy, Santa decided to bring them a few toys that they hadn't seen (a train set for Hyatt, a barbie carriage/hot air balloon for Tilly, a make-up kit for Kiersa, and instruments for Paisli. Then he brought them some clearanced toys [dragons, a cowboy rodeo set and bath toys] for them all to share).




Hyrum was super sneaky and got me a Miche purse with 3 shells. It's the first purse I've owned since I started having kids. I love it because I can change out the outside look of the purse without ever transferring the contents. It's fantastic! Good-bye diaper bags! I won't miss you!

Aside from the apron, I bought Hyrum some incredible socks. If you know Hyrum at all, you know he has a sock fettish. He would wear a new pair of socks every day if he was filthy rich. I went online to research the best of the best socks, and found Thorlos to be the most raved about. Lucky for me, they were sold in a cowboy store here in town, so I got him a pair. Only one pair. Because they're $13 a pair!!!! They were worth it though. Hyrum LOVES them and says it's like walking on cotton balls when he wears them. They have the perfect tension (not too tight or loose) and perfect comfort.

So here is what I made for presents:

Craft/kitchen aprons for the kids made out of old jeans, with gingham trim. And a camouflage apron for Hyrum so he could have an apron his size finally (yes, he does help in the kitchen a lot...probably for his own survival since I'm not the best cook).

Stuffed animals for the kids. I got this idea off of an etsy sight and just made my own pattern (which is why they're not as good as the originals on etsy).

Tilly got the squirrel

Hyatt got the bat


Kiersa got the owl


Paisli got the bird (the feathers on its head are from the duck Hyrum plucked).


I made them scarves too, from a tutorial I found on a site I like. I love the little peek-a-boo shapes.



I also made them a flannel board with an ocean scene, inspired by a book we checked out at the library.


(I wish I had my nice camera. This looks so much better in real life.)

My kids love the Gruffalo so much, that I made them a Gruffalo flannel story on the opposite side of the ocean flannel board. Sorry that my pictures look so terrible with the flash and all. I had to take them at night when the kids were asleep. Again, these pics at night makes the colors look weird. It's much cooler in real life.
 


The Smiths have a gift exchange between families, and this year we had McKay's family, so I made a few of their gifts. I made Stacie a wallet and hair accessories from instructions I found on the internet (the hair stuff can slip onto a headband or can be clipped in the hair),







and I made Lincoln and Macey stuffed animals, using ideas from that same etsy site I used for my kids' stuffed animals.

Though I love putting time and effort into a special present for someone, I'm glad Christmas is over so I can sleep again!







5 comments:

The Lanyons said...

HOLY AMAZING CRAFTS!!!! I CANNOT believe you did all that stuff. I can hardly say what my favorites are because they're all so AWESOME! Seriously! Although the Gruffalo Board is lovely - and all the pillows! Wow. I'm so ashamed that I posted my puny crafts last Xmas when I compare them to yours!

The Lanyons said...

I would be so nervous to use any of those adorable crafts because they're TOO nice!

The Lanyons said...

Seriously great. Can't stop commenting about it!

The Lanyons said...

OK, pillow-wise, I think I like the sheep, bat and brown owl most.

The Lanyons said...

Missing your blog.