This year our tree was a Norweigan Spruce. My favorite are Noble Firs, but out here, the lots have trees that look like desert bushes, and you just don't find the lush firs as readily as you do in Oregon, the Christmas tree capital.
In case you've never touched a Norweigan Spruce before, they feel prickly like a cactus! It was awful. The worst tree we've had yet. And, it drops its needles like crazy, worse than a Douglas Fir!
Hyrum and I strung the lights, then the kids hung the ornaments. Our ornaments are 6 years old now and have been abused by 4 kids so they're looking pretty ratty now. The tree looks too embarrassing to take a picture of, and I'll be taking it down just as soon as the presents are opened.
I've decided I'm going to make new ornaments for our tree next year. It's going to be very organic looking...simple and natural. I'm going to hang pinecones (the ones I collected from different states in the US while we drove semi), make little owls, dry orange slices, string cranberries, make a star from sticks...that sort of thing. I just thing nature provides the most colorful, aesthetic beauty.
I like the orange slices and cinnamon sticks on this tree from HGTV.
These owls are irresistible! I think my kids would love them on the tree.
Or what about turning my pinecones into pinecone gnomes/santas? (Do they even have oak trees in Idaho??)
I have lots of ideas swimming in my head, if I can only get them to materialize AND look in reality how they look in my head. That's the trickiest part.
I also need to figure out how to wrap presents in a beautiful way. I LOVE this from Just A Girl's blog. Simple papers, cute tags, and jute string.
This is my favorite though. So simple-looking and striking! I don't think I'd ever go this trouble for something that will be torn apart though.
I have lots of ideas swimming in my head, if I can only get them to materialize AND look in reality how they look in my head. That's the trickiest part.
I also need to figure out how to wrap presents in a beautiful way. I LOVE this from Just A Girl's blog. Simple papers, cute tags, and jute string.
This is my favorite though. So simple-looking and striking! I don't think I'd ever go this trouble for something that will be torn apart though.


1 comment:
I like the idea of a natural foodie tree too. We'll both have to do one someday - though I'm sure yours will be MUCH better! And I tried more natural Xmas wrapping this year and loved it.
Post a Comment